Even people with the most beautiful skin will have some flaws that leave them flustered. Some
conditions must be treated by a doctor. Some can be removed in a salon setting. Many common
conditions can be removed or prevented through simple beauty products that we use everyday.
Of course acne is common in teenagers, but there are many adult cases as well which can be extremely
annoying. Breakouts are caused by a concentration of oil in hair follicles underneath the skin. Dirt can
build up and form pimples. It can be caused by a number of factors including hormones.
Adult acne can be managed in many ways. In extreme cases, a dermatologist can provide oral
medication, dermabrasion, light therapy, laser surfacing or chemical peals. There are many over the
counter products that work to prevent and control acne. Three step systems used on a daily basis are
often great at preventing acne. The steps include a cleanser, toner and repairing lotion. Scrubs that
clear pores and exfoliate the skin are beneficial. Ointments with Benzoyl Peroxide help control acne
Following are some popular 3-step treatment regiments to keep skin clear:
- Proactive- Proactive is a popular 3-step regiment to keep skin clear.
- Olay’s Acne Fighting Kit – Olay is one of many skin care brands to carry 3-step acne treatment
Following are scrubs that help clean the skin and unclog pores:
- Bioré Pour Unclogging Scrub
- Neutrogena Acne and Stress Control Power Scrub
- Neutrogena Rapid Clean Acne Defense Face Lotion
- Yes To Tomatoes Acne Daily Scrub
- Clearasil Ultra Deep Pore Cleansing Scrub
And these are some effective spot treatments to reduce acne breakouts quickly:
- Kiss My Face Breakout Botanical Acne Gel
- Clean and Clear Advantage Mark Treatment
- Elf Zit Zapper
Eczema or Atopic Dermatitis is chronic patches of itchy, red, dry skin caused by irritation. It is most
commonly seen in children who eventually grow out of it, but it occurs in adults as well. The condition
is caused by inflammation and usually occurs in patches on the elbows, knees, hands, legs, neck and
face. It can be treated by a dermatologist with oral medication, steroid cream or light therapy.
The condition is annoying and unsightly, but the worst part about it can be the itching. The itching can
lead to scratching which can lead to scabbing which can lead to infection. The priority in treating this
condition is to stop the itch. Skin should be cleansed at least twice a day, followed by products
containing special ingredients and then thoroughly moisturized. Beauty products with alpha-hydroxyl,
vitamin C or salicylic acids should be avoided. The following should be looked for in products to control
Hyaluronic Acid – This product is great for drawing moisture from the air and it reduces flaky skin in
Niacinamide – Vitamin B3 in serums or creams moisturize the skin and strengthen the top layer of
the skin to protect it from the elements that can make eczema worse.
Psoriasis is most common in early adulthood. It mostly occurs on the scalp, elbows and knees. It can
start with small red bumps that get bigger and then form a scale on top. The thickened skin bleeds
easily when the scales are rubbed off. The patches are itchy and easily irritated. The cause is a
mystery but may be caused by the immune system causing inflammation that triggers the growth of
new skin cells more rapidly than normal.
Psoriasis can be treated by a dermatologist with oral medication or light therapy. Other treatment
includes steroid creams, retinoid creams, vitamin D creams, coal tar and moisturizer. Keeping the skin
moisturized and protected from itching will help patches heal. Use of gentle daily care products is
• Adovia Dead Sea Mud Soap – It is a gentle cleanser that keeps moisture in.
• Aquafor Healing Ointment- With mild ingredients, it can be used throughout the day and should
be used right after showering to hold in moisture.
• CeraVe SA Renewing Lotion – Ceramides lessen scaly skin.
• MG217 Medicated Coal Tar Ointment – This heavy salve has a strong odor but applied at night, it
will help reduce the itch, scales and redness. Using an applicator helps target bad areas.
• Sebamed – The product keeps the pH balance of the skin maintained and is soap-free.
• Cover Fx Concealer – It is hypoallergenic and covers problem patches.
• L’Oreal Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream – It provides tinted coverage as it moisturizes.
• Physicians Formula Mineral Wear – The product is talc-free and will cover redness.
4. Unwanted Hair
Unwanted hair is unsightly and frustrating for many people, especially women. Hair that grows on the
upper lip, chin, cheeks, back, legs, feet and toes can be caused by genetics, steroids and some high
levels of hormones. It can be shaved or plucked but without getting to the root of the hair it will grow
Treating unwanted hair can be done through a doctor or salon with certain treatments. Hot wax,
threading, electrolysis, laser treatments, and oral medication can help. Depilatory creams can be
prescribed or purchased over the counter, and a good hair removal cream would contain chemicals
that dissolve the hair shaft. When using these creams, be sure to test for allergic reactions for
sensitive skin, follow the directions carefully and be sure to use only those made for a specific part of
the body on that specific part of the body. There are many great products on the market that contain
natural ingredients that will dissolve the surface hair, destroy the root and prevent future growth.
• Nads – The product uses all natural ingredients and is great for sensitive skin.
• Pro Plus Progesterone Cream – The cream can help balance hormones that may cause excessive
• Maca Herb Cream – Maca is an herbal supplement that helps regulate hormones.
• Coconut Oil or MCT Oil – The oils work to reduce hair growth on the skin.
5. Skin Tags
Skin tags, those unwanted soft skin growths, are benign but can be frustrating. The small soft growths
dangle under eyelids, on the neck, in arm pits, groin folds and under breasts. These skin flaws can
erupt at any time, usually around middle age. There are various skin tag removal options including
freezing and tying or cutting them off. Those techniques could leave scarring in the place and can be
painful. For safe, non scarring and painless treatment skin tags, over the counter beauty care products
can be very effective.
The following topical products contain natural oils that absorb quickly into the skin. Placed on the tag,
the tag should become flaky and brush off. Some products work with use in just a few days while some
can take a few weeks. All are safe to use and painless. Used properly they will not leave any scarring
or cause damage to surrounding skin. However, when applying, they should not be too close to the
• H-Skin Tag Formula – This ointment contains all homeopathic ingredients.
• Natural Oil Topical Treatment – This product is also made with natural ingredients including
essential oils that are 100% made from plant extracts.
• Tag Away – Tag Away contains Thuja-occidentals which are homeopathic.
• Amolis Natural Healing Oil – All ingredients including herbal oils are natural.
• Tags No More – This product contains Cedar Leaf Thuja.
• Masons Vitamin Tea Tree Oil- Tea Tree Oil is a strong natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal agent.
• Bioxin Skin Tag Removal Serum – Bioxin contains natural ingredients.
Rosacea is a discoloration of skin that occurs on the nose, chin, cheeks or forehead. It may be caused
by a blood vessel disorder or malfunction of the connective tissue underneath the skin. It is a
persistent redness sometimes with bumps and pimples or sometimes with small blood vessels visible
on the skin.
The condition can be treated by medical procedures, but consistent, gentle skin care is beneficial. Use
of fragrance-free skin products helps relieve symptoms. Some products that help reduce the flare ups
of red spots include the following.
- Dermaced Redness Redux Serum
- Medicell Redness Relief Cream
- Prosacea Rosacea Treatment
- Eucerin Redness Relief
- Paula’s Choice Redness Relief
7. Freckles and Brown Spots
Freckles look cute when you are young, but freckles and browns spots as you age may be from too
much sun. Patches of freckles and brown spots appearing on the cheeks, upper lip, forehead and chin
can be prevented through limited sun exposure, but they can also be treated with skin care products.
Vitamin C-based serum and products containing Kajic acid can be effective on removing these skin
abnormalities. Some products that work well include:
- La Roche Posay Mela-D Pigment Control – The correcting serum works on concentrated dark
- Skin Medica’s Lytera- The product shrinks brown spots.
- Elure Advanced Brightening Lotion – This specialized treatment is only available through a doctor.
It contains a patented natural enzyme formulation called melanozyme. It also contains botanical
mushroom extract that brightens the skin.
Even the most frustrating skin flaws can be corrected through the use of skin care products. As we age
we are bound to have some distasteful abnormalities show up. If skin is cleansed and kept moisturized
most skin problems can be kept at a minimum, but they are still bound to show up. Skin care products can do wonders to prevent and reduce the effects of these irritating blemishes.